Thanks to the smallest member of the ‘household’ being ill today we’re staying in Limburg now until Sunday. Several people have advised me against travelling on a Saturday so I will respect that. The German Autobahn can be hair raising enough on a week day with every bloke driving an Audi/Merc/BMW acting like he’s Michael Schumacher. As much as I have always dreamed of driving at great speeds on the roads here or even round the Nurburgring my dream ride was never exactly a 25ft 2.8 TD Fiat motorhome weighing in at 3500kg. If I’d been in my beloved 206 Gti then it would have been pedal to the metal and hang onto your hat Grandma as I attempted to get maximum speed out of the car. Sadly I’m more likely to be found on the inside lane pootling along at 60 – 65mph while my belongings rattle around in cupboards 😦
I have found the actual place they filmed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in. It’s called Rothenburg ob der Tauber. If we go into Austria via Wurzburg then this gem of a place is just south of there so may be worth a visit though I do hope the Childcatcher isn’t in residence, he scares the living daylights out of me still with his phallic nose.
Oh and hello to my new followers. If anyone wants to see more of my photos then I’m on facebook as Lynsey N’ Chloe Manton or you can see them on photobucket if you follow this link
My observations for the day:-
- Nuns – they are everywhere. I have seen more in 4 days than I have in 41 years. My favourite is the lady I see every afternoon sitting by the river. Her hiking socks and boots set her apart from your usual habit wearing lady of God.
- Germans don’t appear to have discovered ipods or MP3 players and look at me as if I have just landed from Uranus ( I choose that planet cos I have seen the look on their faces)
- Pedestrians don’t appear to have right of way on pavements. Bloody cyclists are free to mow you down where they choose whilst ringing their bell in a frantic manner (not much use if you are doing the above)
- The older generation are much ruder. This could be cos I am the enemy and English or they may be like it with everyone.
- If you like meat, 50 types of bread and paprika flavoured everything then come to Germany. If like me you are a vegetarian and coeliac you may not eat that well.
- With the amount of pavement pounding I’ve done since we arrived in Europe I should have an arse like Kylie and thighs that could crack walnuts come christmas. Sadly this is not to be.